Published Articles on Child Care and Children's Learning & Play Environments
Some articles, and most articles published prior to 1996, are not currently available for viewing or downloading from this web site. Articles that are underlined can be viewed by clicking on the article. Articles with a sign are available for viewing and printing in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF), which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, version 3.0 or higher, or any other PDF-compatible reader. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is freely available from Adobe Systems, Inc by clicking here.
These articles and the contents of this web site are copyrighted and protected by USA and international copyright law. Permission is granted to download single copies of articles for personal use. No other copies may be made. Educational institutions may obtain permission to make multiple copies for classroom use by e-mailing us with details. The contents of articles may be quoted provided credit is given to the "(author's name), White Hutchinson Leisure & Learning Group, Kansas City, MO, USA." All other rights for use or reproduction of the contents of this web site and articles is reserved.
Articles by Randy White and Vicki L. Stoecklin
- Children's Outdoor Play
& Learning Environments: Returning to Nature, Early Childhood News,
- Creating Outdoor Play and Learning Environments, IPA, USA Newsletter,
Issue No. 50, November 1997.
- Designing Quality Facilities,
Newsbreak Region IV, Head Start, Chapel Hill, NC, February 1998.
- Designing Quality Child Care Facilities, Head Start Zero to Three
Web Site @ <http://www.ehsnrc.org>
- Multi-Cultural Dimensions of
a Children's Play & Discovery Center in Arabia.
- A Children's Play Center in
- The Great 35 Square
- Nurturing Children's Biophilia: Developmentally Appropriate Environmental Education for Young Children
Articles by Vicki L. Stoecklin, Education & Child Development Director
- Day Care for All Children, Nancy Gaumer, (et al), Springfield, IL:
Office of Child Development, Department of Children and Family Services,
- Report on Child Day Care, Springfield, IL: Office of Child Development,
Department of Children and Family Services, 1991.
- Advocating for Young Children with Disabilities, Quarterly Resource,
Vol. 8, No. 3, Champaign, IL: Great Lakes Resource Access Project, University
of Illinois, Department of Special Education, 1994.
- Inclusion Solution: Staff Training Game to Explore the Inclusion of
Children with Disabilities in Illinois, Champaign, IL: Great Lakes Resource
Access Project, University of Illinois, Department of Special Education,
- Leadership Training to Support Day Care for All Children, Champaign,
IL: University of Illinois, Department of Special Education, co-authored
- School-Age Child Care: Technical Assistance Papers, Numbers 1-7. ERIC
- School-Age Child Care: Technical Assistance Papers, Kentucky, Numbers
- School-Age Child Care: Meeting Developmental Needs - Video - University
of Illinois Film Center, X00096.
- School-Age Child Care: Caring Enough - Video - University of Illinois
Film Center, X00095.
- The Nine-and-Under Niche, FEC Management, IAFEC, September/October
- Understaing the Design
Process for Outdoor Play and Learning Environments, 1998
- Designing For All
- Creating Playgrounds
- The Role of
Culture in Designing Child Care Facilities
- Developmentally Appropriate
Gardening for Young Children
- Creating Environments That Sustain Children, Staff and Our Planet,
Child Care Information Exchange, July/August 2005.
- Creating Outdoor Spaces Kids Love, Professional Connections, National
Association of Child Care Professionals, Volume 8, Issue42, 2005.
Environments That Sustain Children, Staff, and Our Planet
- Connecting School Age Children To the Natural World: Nurturing our Future Earth Stewards, School-Age NOTES, Vol. XXVII #6, February 2007
- Making Mindful Choices for Both Children and Mother Earth - published in Earlychildhood News.
- Gardening with Children: My Summers at Beanstalk Children's Garden - published in the 2009 March/April edition of Child Care Information Exchange
- Suggestions for Healthy Environmental Choices for Children - November 2009
- Creating Healthy, Sustainable Infant and Toddler Environments
Articles by Randy White, CEO
- When It Comes to Children's Play, Simplify, Simply, Simplify, Tourist
Attractions & Parks, April/May 1995, Vol 25, No 2.
- Children's Edutainment Centers: Learning Through Play, IPA Newsletter,
IPA/USA American Association for the Child's Right To Play, Issue No 43,
- Children's Edutainment Centers and Play Gardens, Sproutage, Sprout Scouts,
Vol 6, Issue 1, May 1996.
- Children's Edutainment Centers: Learning Through Play--Part I, Intercross,
Japan, Issue 168, June 1996 (in Japanese).
- Children's Edutainment Centers: Learning Through Play--Part II, Intercross,
Japan, Issue 169, July 1996 (in Japanese).
- After-School Daze, FEC Management,
IAFEC, July/August 1997.
- Adventure Play Gardens: Sometimes,
You Just Gotta Make Mud Pies, Tourist Attractions & Parks, September/October
1997, Vol 27, No 5.
- Not Mere Child's Play, Athletic Business,
- Moving from Biophobia to
Biophilia: Developmentally Appropriate Environmental Education for Children.
- Nature Buffers Children's
- Interaction with Nature during
the Middle Years: Its Importance in Children's Development & Nature's
- Benefits of Nature for Children.
- Young Children's Relationship
with Nature: Its Importance to Children's Development & the Earth's
- Adults are from Earth; Children
are from the Moon: Designing for Children: A Complex Challenge
- The Impact of Density and the
Definition and Ratio of Activity Centers on Children in Childcare Classrooms
- Recommended Resources for the Outdoor Learning Environments from the North Carolina Outdoor Learning Environment Alliance (PDF file).
- The Kids Garden - This UK-based website introduces you to the wonders of nature through gardening. A great resource for articles for both parents and teachers.